Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help!

Hello! Ok so I think I made a mistake, so before i scrap my sculpt i want to run it by ya'll.  I have the "Alana" head bust from monster makers. I use monster clay. Plan on doing a front one piece mold since the sculpt will mainly be used as a face prosthetic.  Here is my problem. I did not spray the Alana bust before i started. When I'm all done can i use crystal clear? or have i just ruined it by not prepping it right? Also I used acrylic teeth. What is the best thing to put over them to keep them from sticking?

Comments

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Hey Nicole,

I've never worked with the Alana bust from Monster Makers, so I'm not sure if they require any kind of sealing before sculpting.  I would imagine you are fine just throwing your clay on it and sculpting.

As for molding prep, you can hit everything with some Crystal Clear.  I typically don't spray the Crystal clear on anything other than my sculpt, and use a release spray/soap/wax/vaseline on any armature that will be included in the mold.  But that's just how I've done it.

If you will be molding the teeth intact, you can brush a little release on them.  But because they are rigid structures be careful about overhangs and shapes that will otherwise lock into your mold.  If you are making a silicone mold you are a bit safer, but a stone or epoxy mold would likely lock on any rigid forms like teeth.    I guess the question there is how do you plan on molding it, and what material do you plan on casting into the final mold?

I like to remove teeth before molding (leaving the empty sockets) and then glue in acrylic denture teeth in the final cast piece.  But that may not be a fit for your project.

Best of luck!

/Chris