Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Homework - David DeMattia

Homework for live workshop student David DeMattia

Comments

• David DeMattiaDavid DeMattia Saint Croix Falls, WI. ✭✭✭
    See you in class!
    Here is a tap / drill size list.
    It's about to begin.
    @Chris Ellerby Would it be possible to get 3 or 4 images showing what Jim has done so far? THANKS!
  • Looks great David! Thanks for sharing the drill chart- I have downloaded it, but in reading it, I can't find reference to 4-40. Is there a trick to finding the small tap sizes we are using? I have never read these types of charts before.
    edited March 26
    3/26/2017 - Started Work on Neck Project

edited March 26
    @Katherine Hannaford The screw size is #4. (The 40 is how many threads per inch). By looking at the guide, the drill size on alum. for a 4-40 would be a #43 (tap) #32 (close file) and #30 (Free fit). Make sense? In other words, pick the number from the left hand column marked "Screw Size" (in your case a #4) then read across right to pick thread size then drill bit size.
    @Katherine Hannaford
     Here is my box of Number Bits. The #43 on mine is missing (as well of most of the small bits!) because they are small and I tend to break them! Use a light hand.

• edited March 28
    David DeMattia Thanks for that great explanation of the Drill Chart. I have a better understanding of how to read it!
    03/28/2017 - Today's work. Had to improvised as I lost my mind and ordered some wrong parts.

3/29/2017 - This is it till next time. Have to pack my art and hit the road.

• Chris EllerbyChris Ellerby Los Angeles Admin
    Looking good!

/Chris
    HEY EVERYBODY! I'm back in the studio. For those of you in the states, you can get your aluminum (as well as other metals) at Discount Steel www.discountsteel.com . Pretty reasonable prices, will custom cut, nice people and they FedEx. I use them to buy steel for my sculptures. 

• Dave VanderWekkeDave VanderWekke New Jersey
    Looks good David. How did you feel the servo city u joint was. Sturdy enough?
    Dave, This is just a prototype to work everything out. When I build the "real" mechanism, I'll use a more robust U-joint. I wouldn't use the servo city u joint for critical applications.
    MY KINGDOM FOR 2 - 1/4x28 bolts! It's always something.....you think you have all the parts you need and BOOM! It's back to the hardware store.
    Decided to scrap work on the old mechanism and start again with the proper parts.

Just got my shipment of aluminum! 

Progress so far.

Today's progress.

Gluing in the plate to the skull. Holes tapped and ready to go!

Opted to go with direct drive on the Left/Right head. Getting a nice rotation and movement. All of the weight is carried by the bearings so I'm getting a good speed with the foam skull. If I had a heaver head, I'd either use a bigger servo or get more leverage with what Jim taught.

edited April 9
    Here is a test with a servo tester cycling through rough movements.

edited April 10
    I think I may be DONE!

4/10/2017 - Skull attached, cycling through basic movements.

Now I have to hook it up to the radio control and mess with the presets to set servo limits. That's always a good time. 
    OK, this is it! The final neck is done and here is a demo with the radio control. Enjoy!