Options

Painting Terminator

Does anybody know where I can find the painting process for Terminator?
 I'm wondering about the metallic effect for the metal pieces breaking through the skin and whether this was a paint job or an actual metal or alternative?
If it is a paint job, how can I achieve this glossy metal effect?

Thanks guys!!

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I've not personally used it but I've read good things about "Rub N Buff"
    An example:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f28/uneven-rub-n-buff-bkbt-new-armor-17687/

Stu

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Or if you're feeling brave and have the means to melt down some aluminium soda cans, you could make those parts from metal! (Half joking... but if you can,,,)
    Check out this guy, Jaz Creations. He spent an obscene amount of time painstakingly transforming a foam Terminator T800 kit into cast aluminum and the result is incredible!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWOwR7CS6NE
    He has a complete build log on his Youtube channel. Be warned, it is mesmerizing and might cause you to lose a lot of hours lol.

Stu

• Options
    Wow, that aluminum T800 project was an incredible amount of work.   I need one.

/Chris
  • Options
    Brilliant! Just what I was looking for as I hope to find something suitable to paint onto foam latex if possible. But if not vac-form or even aluminium!

Thanks so much (:
    Beth
  • Options
    Glad to help. I'm not sure that the Rub N Buff stuff would be suitable on foam latex though. It seems to need a fair amount of elbow grease to actually polish it to a shiny finish and that would likely destroy your foam latex. Vac form sounds like a good plan though, I'm sure you can get some nice shiny formable plastic that would be perfect for the job!

Stu

• Options
    Alternatively, does anyone know of any metallic paints I can use on foam latex?

Thanks a lot!
    Beth
  • Options
    Alclad makes some great metallic paints that you might be able to get to work on latex, depending on what kind of primer/adhesion promoter you use.  I've not tried them on latex though.  I would suggest running some tests on scrap material.

Though it may crack if the piece you are painting needs to flex a lot.  Building up rigidity with a few layers (or even some brush on epoxy) would help.

/Chris
  • Options
    Yes great idea, I just need to figure what primers I can use. The Alclad stuff looks perfect!

I'm thinking I may get away with it as I'm sculpting on top of the head where it wouldn't move so much.

I'll give it a go! Thank for your help,
    Beth